Summer time...my favorite time of year
It's early March, the wind is howling outside, and icy rain is falling on the trees. Just a few more months and days like today will only be a memory. Summer is my time of year. There is so much to attend to in the garden and it is truly a labor of love.
Peonies are the first to flower in late May, then comes the day lilies and then the butterfly bushes. Here is a picture of one of my many day lilies; they are a creamy white and look great when the sun hits them. On the right is one of my peony bushes.


Inevitably the weeds join in, as do the bugs and various pests that like to munch on my beautiful gems. Below is a link to help identify the most common culprits.
Common Weeds
During the hot dry months, it is very important to water just about everything that is green. When plants dry out it is hard to re-balance the soil with moisture, and most of the water will run straight through the dirt. This is especially true of annuals, or plants that only live for one season.
Many of my annuals are in pots, and pots can dry out fast. Make sure to stay ahead of the game and give a long, thorough drink to each member preferably in the evening.
Watering guidelines
It is also very important to prune or "dead head" flowers mid season so as to encourage a second wind of flowering come August. It may seem a bit drastic in some instances, but it is actually good for the plant's growth overall. The following article is a good example of how it is done.
Dead heading how to
Looking forward to a warm summer season...happy gardening!
I have been considering growing my own garden for quite some time but never really knew the proper techniques. I love the flowers you use as example and you have some really great advise for the novice. You seem very talented in your hobby :)
ReplyDeleteNot being a very experienced gardener, I really appreciate these tips. I had a problem with underground slugs killing my hydrangeas last year and we read online that if you set out cut up beer cans outside it will attract them. Needless to say, it worked!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! Now that it is starting to warm up I have been day dreaming about my garden!
ReplyDeleteWell, that explains why my plants didn't do so well. I watered every few days and usually right around midday. Now I know!
ReplyDelete