Thursday, March 5, 2015

Fall is all about the mums

Fall is all about the mums
When I think of autumn, the very first thing that comes to mind is Chrysanthemums. They are better known as mums for short. They are easy to care for, and keep the color going up until the first frost. They require little maintenance and lots of sun.

There are many different varieties, but the easiest to grow are single, anemone and pompon. Each variety also has a specific bloom time, so depending on how early or late you want to add color; this is a factor to be considered. You can find mums in colors from white to gold, pink to burgundy and yellow to orange.

Pictured below left is the single or daisy variety, and it blooms first, usually in early September. On the right is the anemone variety, and typically blooms last, around mid-October. And finally, on the bottom center is the pompon, and it is a mid to late September bloomer.





    
   
                         Photos courtesy of todayshomeowner.com

I have included a good article on the care for mums:

                                                  Easy mum care


Nearly every mum is a perennial, meaning that it will continue to come back every year. As the blooms fade, it is recommended that they be pinched off with your fingers and this will promote even more blooms to open, and continue their beautiful color.  This is one of mine from last fall. It is the anemone variety, and my favorite mum.



6 comments:

  1. Love the colorful pictures...makes me hopeful for warmer days to come. I replant my mums, which come back every year, but are stringy instead of bushy. Is it because I am cutting instead of pinching? Love the new look of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcie for the kind words. To make the mums more bushy, cut long stringy stems back to the same height as the majority of the stems, creating a rounder look. This can be done as often as needed up until mid August. Pinching will spur the plant to produce more blooms and can be done as often as needed.

      Delete
  2. Lisa,
    So great that you have an affinity towards plants and know how to care for them! I, myself, only have the patience and fortitude to contend with the basics: watering. :( Great post and looking forward to more of your insight.
    Best,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  3. I planted Mums for the first time last fall and loved them! It's so nice to see bright color in October! I left the roots in hope they would come back next year. Im glad I read your blog. More informed now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mums are great fall flowers! They give you beautiful bright colors of summer in the fall.

    ReplyDelete