Friday, January 30, 2015

Winter Container Decorating

Winter container decor
It’s late January, and it is COLD outside. Not too many creatures stirring outside these days. Plants and a lot of other vegetation are hibernating right now. I like outdoor decorations, even simple ones year round. Hmm, what to do during Michigan’s winter months?

I have some proven ideas to share with you. For many years I have turned to using fresh greens like pine and douglas fir branches as a base. They stay green for most of the winter and typically need to be trimmed around the end of March. In the photos below, I used some boxwood from my own shrubs.


I stick them straight into the dirt before it freezes. In addition, I use decorative branches like birch or dogwood for height. I usually purchase them at a nursery like Bordine’s because many of the stems they sell have sparkle and glitter applied to them.

 I also use gold and silver plastic ornament balls glued to slender sticks during Christmas in the arrangements as well. I add lighted spheres to the mix, or strings of mini lights no longer than 50 lights in length. The spheres can be purchased at Michael’s or Target, but I get mine at Bronner’s in Frankenmuth. They are electric, so you will need access to an outlet nearby. They come in clear, red, green or multicolor and add a pretty winter glow after the Christmas lights are gone.

The following video represents a similar way to decorate, although they are more elaborate than mine. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wyA9z5UeNo



3 comments:

  1. Great idea! Much better than leaving those pots with the leftover dead mums from the fall....I did manage to pull these up this year and fill the pots with plastic poinsettias, but I think I like your idea better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Our front porch is so bland right now, since it is covered with snow! This is a great idea to give it some color until spring!

    ReplyDelete